Report Abuse or Neglect

Personal Care Attendant

Personal care assistance is provided in the home to people with disabilities or a chronic, disabling disease who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).

A Personal Care Attendant (PCA) is a person who does things for you that you are physically unable to do yourself. A PCA also helps you do things that would take an exceptionally long time to do on your own. The duties of the PCA vary, depending on the nature of your disability and your daily schedule.

We can help:

  • Evaluate to determine how much help you need
  • Facilitate the recruitment of a PCA
  • Provide guidance on how to train and manage a PCA
  • Explain the paperwork process involved with having a PCA

Who We Serve:

  • Persons ages 3 and up who need hands-on, physical assistance to complete at least two activities of daily living
  • Persons with a chronic or ongoing disability or illness which affects their functional ability to complete activities of daily living
  • Persons who are able to manage the PCA Program (hire, train, and schedule PCAs and submit timesheets)


Learn More About Our PCA Program

Frequently Asked Questions

What are PCA services?
  • Help with bathing or grooming
  • Help with dressing and undressing
  • Mobility, such as transfer, walking or using equipment to get around
  • Taking medications
  • Range of motion exercises (passive range of motion: physically assisting a member to perform range of motion exercises
  • Eating: physically assisting a member to eat, including assistance with tube feeding and special nutritional and dietary needs
  • Toileting: physical help with bowel and bladder needs/care
  • PCAs can also assist with laundry, shopping or housekeeping, as well as other special needs such as maintaining wheelchairs or transportation to medical appointments.
Who is responsible for hiring and managing the PCA?

The individual is responsible for hiring, firing, training and managing his or her own Personal Care Assistant (PCA). The consumer is the employer and the PCA is the employee.

What if I am unable to manage the program myself?

If a person cannot manage the program themselves, they are able to name someone they know as a Surrogtae or Administrative Proxy who can help them to manage the program.